You may think you know everything there is to know about women, but they’re willing to bet the following facts about their self-pleasuring ways will surprise you.
Whether you think masturbation is as natural as breathing, or you think it is the root of all evil, the facts remain the same, 80percent of people you know masturbates even you.
You may not do it regularly, but almost everyone has masturbated, or does masturbate from time to time. It is natural, and it's not dirty, unless you want it to be.
So, if masturbation is so great, and everyone does it, why are women so reluctant to admit they do it?
Most men have no problem admitting they choke the chicken. In fact, many are proud of their self-pleasuring antics.
This must be just another difference that separates the sexes, but hopefully by the end of this feature, the divide will be a tad bit smaller.
The elusive art of female masturbation
Here are a few facts about women and masturbation you probably didn't know.
1. All women do the deed - Most won't admit to pleasuring themselves, but make no mistake: all women do it, or have done it. At least all women who took part in a study conducted by
It was a small study—only 20 women of varying age, ethnicity, and sexual orientation, but the results are definitely interesting.
All 20 women admitted to having rubbed the nub at least once in their lives, and some even said they do it at least once a day. While this study was probably a little biased, since the women polled voluntarily participated in a study on sexuality read: they were more free-spirited, another interesting study—the Gossard Big M Survey (2008)—found that 9 out of 10 women romance thy own, and many do it as much as three times a week.
2. Self-love is about more than just sex - Getting off is great, but for many of us, it is more than just the primal need for release.
Sometimes, we have other reasons for masturbating. For instance, we may be having trouble sleeping. Tickling our fancy to orgasm is one of the best natural sleep aids in the world. It's also a great stress reliever, and many of us pet the kitty to de-stress and unwind.
3. We prefer sex toys to our fingers when going solo- Most women who masturbate, about 90 percent use sex toys rather than fingers to bring themselves to orgasm. Why? Well, you know us women. The majority of us aren't exactly quick on the draw, and vibrators just make it happen faster.
4. Sometimes it just seems like work - Even though most of us look at self-pleasuring as a positive thing, there are times masturbating just seems like work. Unlike men, reaching orgasm can be difficult for women. Sometimes, it just doesn't happen, no matter how hard you try. Tiptoeing through the two-lips at times like this can be frustrating. Another frustrating aspect of masturbation is having to take care of yourself when you didn't get to finish with your partner.
5. It's no big deal, really - For many of us, self-pleasure is as commonplace and necessary as brushing our teeth. It's a no-frills, unromantic way to relieve tension or even to set the stage for a great day. Many women start each day off right with a little two-fingered tango in the shower before heading off to work. Masturbating, for some women, is just another aspect of a normal day, despite the emphasis society and the male gender places on it.
6. We really have no clue how other women do it - Do other women penetrate while masturbating? Is it all about clitoral stimulation? We really don't know what other women do, and honestly, we really don't care. Research suggests that only about 24 percent of women reach orgasm through penetration, so the majority of us usually don't use penetration to get ourselves off. This isn't to say we forgot it altogether; really, we just do what feels good.
7. We still think it's a man thing - Despite the overwhelming number of women who masturbate, we still think the act is a "man thing." We still claim that men do it more or at least more regularly than we do. For those of us who do admit to touching ourselves, it's usually because we're doing it for our partners either in front of them or during sex. You'd be hard-pressed to get us to admit we do it alone and solely for ourselves.
8. Masturbation just makes us happy - Solo sex carries a ton of benefits. It helps us get in tune with our bodies so we're more relaxed and happier. It allows us to find out what feels good, so we can share those discoveries with our partners. There's even evidence that self-love makes sex with someone else better by keeping those pelvic-floor muscles in shape. All of these things are cause for celebration, for sure.
9. Older women masturbate too - In the 2010 National Survey of Sexual Health and Behavior published by the Kinsey Institute, nearly a third of the women polled in the 60 to 69 age group admitted recent masturbation.
10. Sorry guys 4 out of 10 women prefer orgasm from masturbation over actual sex.
11. The vagina is self-cleaning.
12. The average female orgasm lasts about 10 seconds. The longest on record lasted 43 seconds and included 25 contractions.
13. The largest clitoris on record measured 4 ½ inches long and 1 ½ inches wide.
14. When nothing else is available, many women prefer cucumbers and candlesticks for penetration during solo sex play.
15. Saliva can actually disrupt the delicate balance in the vagina, which can lead to yeast infections.
16. Women with higher levels of testosterone in their bodies are more likely to masturbate.
17. Humans aren't the only ones who know the pleasures of self-love. Apes, horses and birds also do it.
18. The female orgasm can be vaginal, clitoral or a combination of both.